I woke up with the Spice Girls in my head, what can I say?
I am list making kind of girl.
I like making lists and checking things off. I've even been known to create a list that includes things I've already done so I can cross something off and feel good about myself.
You've done that too, right?
As I washed dishes the other day, I was thinking about my must haves for the new house.
It is list making time.
Here's what on my major, must have list!
1. Storage. I like smaller homes, they're cozy, quaint, warm. The less house there is, the less square footage to clean, (bonus!) but an absolute must is TONS of storage.
2. Character. I must have character. I am drawn to older homes, so with this new build I really want to bring in details like chair railing, wainscoting, and vintage or repurposed decor.
3. Wood floors. I want real, solid, hardwood floors more than I can even explain. I know that this may be out of my price range though, so if it comes down to it, I am willing to go with a cheaper flooring option now and upgrade later since this will be our forever home.
Then again since its our forever home, maybe I should just invest the money... Hmmm see, I'm still pretty torn on this.
4. Natural light. I adore bright airy rooms with plenty of windows. I love natural light, it just makes me feel happy sitting in a room full of sunshine. The Hub's, on the other hand, despises bright rooms, it actually bothers his eyes, (for reals) so good shades or curtains are a must as well.
5. A large mudroom/washroom. We live on a ranch, with mud, dirt, and endless messes being drug into the house, so a separate room to kick off sh*# covered boots (sorry Mom, that what they're covered in, love you) coveralls, coats etc. is an absolute must!
6. A fireplace. I don't know yet if I'll go with wood burning or gas, but a fireplace is on the have-to-have list!
7. A front porch, with a swing, where I will sit and drink tea and grow old. Its a non-negotiable. Hey, it's my dream item, what can I say?
How does that list sound? There are plenty of things I would add for a dream scenario, but for the basic build it and grow with it plan, I think these are reasonable.
It's still snowing and blowing here. I guess in between trips outdoors to help the Hubs shovel out feed bunks and making calf bottles to get the babies through the blizzard, I'll have plenty of time to think about my list!
How about you? What is on your list of must haves or dream house items?
Have a great day!
P.S. Storage like this makes me swoon!